We all gather stuff as we move through life, it is human nature. However, there can come a point when suddenly our belongings seem to be in control of our lives and not the other way around.
Cluttered rooms, cupboards crammed full to overflowing, and sheds and attics that burst at the seams. It’s a familiar story.
This can make home life uncomfortable, stressful, and chaotic. But, perhaps more surprisingly, studies have proven that too much clutter can have a detrimental effect on mental health.
All good reasons for decluttering your home.
However, this is trickier than you might suspect. We simply don’t want to get rid of our belongings easily. There is a certain finality to trashing or giving away belongings that our inherent gatherer selves fight against.
Amongst the common reasons we use to justify this are:
- Might need it someday
- Sentimental value
- It might be valuable
Of course, in many cases, these reasons are completely justified. This is where a self-storage unit can be a godsend. It can help you to declutter without making difficult and often rash decisions about what to toss out.
Reasons for decluttering your home
There are plenty of reasons that you may need to declutter your home, either on a long or short-term basis. Here are just a few of them:
- Too much stuff
- Decluttering before your home goes on the market
- New arrivals (baby, pets)
- Renovations or decorating
- Seasonal decluttering (garden tools, Christmas decorations, sports equipment, etc.)
- Reclaiming a spare room
How a self-storage unit can help you to declutter
Self-storage units offer the perfect solution to help you clear space and fully enjoy your home again. It can ease the pain of having to say goodbye to items that you love or may need again in the future.
There are many other benefits to using a self-storage unit to declutter. At Belfast Self Storage, our self-storage services offer:
- Convenience – We have branches throughout Ireland, so you are never far from one of our storage facilities. Our facilities are all open during normal business hours, and out-of-hours access is easily arranged if required.
- Clean and Dry – All our units are immaculately maintained and offer a clean and dry environment to make sure your belongings remain in perfect condition.
- Secure – Security is our number one priority. All our units are protected by multi-layers of security, including CCTV, alarm systems, building occupancy logs, keypad entry systems and the use of your own locks on your unit.
- Flexible – We have a range of sizes to fit all needs, and units can be used for as long or as short a period as required.
- Cost-effective – Our units start from just a few Pounds per week. When you consider that a self-storage unit can save you from throwing out or otherwise disposing of valuable or rarely used items, a self-storage unit can save you money.
- Parking and Loading Facilities – All our facilities have ample customer parking and loading bays with trolleys available to help with heavier and awkward items.
Tips for decluttering your home
The process of decluttering can seem daunting. So, we have compiled a list of tips to help you clear your feet and get on with enjoying the benefits of a decluttered home.
- Start Small – If you have a lot of clutter in your life, then the task can seem overwhelming. Start by making a list of everything that needs to be addressed, and at the top of the list, put a few smaller tasks to begin with.
Even if it’s just a kitchen drawer or two, getting started is the important thing. Setting realistic goals and timescales in your list also helps to make the task less daunting.
- Keep a record of your progress – Knowing that your efforts are paying off is crucial to keep the momentum going. By keeping a record of your progress, you can see the difference that all these small steps add up to.
Before and after photographs are a great way to visually keep track of your progress and see the difference that your hard work is making.
- Don’t be too hasty – It is easy in the heat of the moment to make the wrong decision about what should stay and what should go. This is okay when it comes to a drawer full of old socks, but not when it comes to more valuable belongings or items with sentimental value.
This is one of the big advantages of a self-storage unit. It affords you the time to place belongings in storage until a well-considered decision is reached.
- View your home as a potential buyer – We become so acquainted with our surroundings that it is easy to disregard what is clutter and what isn’t. Try entering your home with your eyes and mind wide open and pretend you are a potential buyer. Note down what your first impression is about how tidy the home is.
This exercise can give you a great feel for what can stay, but more importantly – what must go.
- Split your house into zones – Once again, this method works by breaking down the task into manageable chunks. This can be used as the next step up from starting with those smaller jobs.
For instance, if you started small with a kitchen drawer, then make the kitchen your first zone. This helps to keep you motivated by producing fast results that show all the effort has been worth your while.
Belfast Self Storage – Here to help
At Belfast Self Storage, we can offer the perfect home storage solution to help you declutter your life without much of the stress it usually brings. With stores throughout Ireland and units of all sizes available, there is a storage option to suit every need.
Why not contact us today and find out more about how our self-storage solutions can help you declutter.